So do you feel a little stuck at work with not getting that raise this year or not having been promoted in years? Assuming, at least for the time being, that you actually plan on staying there for a while longer, I’ll give some tips of what you can do at the office to instantly increase your chances of corporate success for that big employee promotion.
“IF HE LOOKS INTELLIGENT AND SOUNDS INTELLIGENT, THEN HE MUST BE INTELLIGENT. LET’S PUT HIM ON THE MORE IMPORTANT HIGHER FUNDED PROJECTS”
I’m sure you probably have some people that you work with that carry a higher title than you and make a lot more money. But yet, you pretty much do the same work as they do and you are probably wondering how they got to be where they are at and why do doors keep getting opened for them?
“WHERE ONE DOOR CLOSES, A WINDOW OPENS FOR THOSE THAT APPEAR IMPORTANT AND SOUND IMPORTANT”
Unfortunately, in this world, it is still all about perception and image. People, especially management types that have below average IQ levels, still judge a book by its cover. Other than people with connections and relatives, the ones that are given opportunities to climb the ladder, are the ones that look important and sound important. That is 90% of the battle right there. The people that do this typically don’t perform their job any better than you could. These are a few tips for you to implement to help further your career:
- Work on your verbal skills by trying to sound very important and authoritative no matter what it is that you are talking about. No matter how stupid and little it seems, make everything sound like a big talking point at meetings or around the office. Begin your sentences using the word “apparently” whenever you can. It makes you sound more “important”.
- Look old. That’s right. The older you look, the more management “trusts” you. They don’t like those young 20 something year old punks that “don’t know anything”.
- This is a big one that some of us cannot do, but wear wire framed glasses. Think of all the people you work with that have the bigger salaries and higher titles. I bet a lot of them wear glasses don’t they?
- Try and dress to look overweight or underweight. Have you ever noticed that the better shape and more muscular someone is, the less serious they are taken?
- Hang pictures of your wife and kids all over the place in your cubicle. This makes you look like an older responsible family man or woman. And most people do this as a way to try and not be the 2% to be “selected” to get laid off if that time ever comes. Their thinking is that the middle manager wouldn’t pick them to be “let go” because he would feel bad about laying someone off who has kids to feed. Ever notice other employees doing this at work? Because other than that, no one could careless what your family looks like. I don’t.
- Carry a planner or some sort of log and write everything down. Once again, it makes you “appear” more organized which makes you “look” more intelligent.
If you can follow some of those tips, you’ll begin to notice that after a period of time, people will start to take you more seriously. This can open more doors for opportunities, which then leads to more experience, which in turn makes you more valuable at work, which in turn equals promotion. 90% of the game is looking important and sounding important. I’ve noticed this everywhere I work. Even certain employees that are actually not very good at what they do, tend to always have doors opened for them because they talk a good game and they have an intelligent appearance. And then this turns into a situation where the rich get richer and the poorer get poorer. Middle management dopes are the ones that will evaluate you by what they “think” about you. Look and act important, and you will notice a difference in treatment.